Friday, November 6, 2009

In Loving Memory of Kevin's Youth.....My First Tombstone Cake

A dear friend of ours turned 40 today. His wife surprised him with a HUGE party. It was a funeral for his youth. I was so lucky to be able to make the cake. (Be sure to click on the picture to get a better look at the details.)

This cake was a lot bigger than it looks in the picture. It took more than 5 dozen eggs and a half a gallon of oil. The top portion of the tombstone was made using rice crispy treats (5 recipes). My husband, Jim, helped out a lot with this cake. He started by drafting it out on the computer for me, and he even marbled the fondant. Isn't he good?

Here is the back of the cake.

Almost everyone came to the party dressed in black.
Here is the birthday boy, Kevin... aka Bishop McEvoy. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
It was such a fun party. I am glad that I got to be a part of it.

12 comments:

the hasties said...

What fun that is one way to Celebrate your bithday I might just do that when Trevor turns 40 ;)

Emmy said...

That is awesome!! And what a big cake! I can't even imagine how you made that. So cool!
We always celebrate our 30th birthday as losing our youth.

Cammy said...

That is awesome! You are so talented.

Sara said...

We wanted to go but Harlie woke up wiht a fever of 100.0 and I didn't want to push it with the chance of kids being there. Luckily there are no more fevers around here and I have 2 healthy children again.

Suga said...

I'm a new reader to your blog. You are SO talented great cake! :)

Linnea said...

So fun!

~Sherry (Bear) and Stephen (Wolf) said...

Wow, that is so fun and amazing! Great job!

MrsLavendula said...

what a unique party concept!

Jessica said...

Wow Lynette, Amazing as always! You seriously are incredible. Someday we seriously have to do the catering business. Every time I look at your blog it reminds me how much I want to go take the classes at Hobby Lobby... Maybe I should just pay you to teach me. :)

Joanna said...

Wow!!!
I'm wondering though what you used as soil and grass? :D

greetings from the Philippines!

cakes to vijayawada said...

That was great! I like it.

CakeTinIce said...

Great idea and theme, certainly a different way to celebrate a Birthday. Will be recommending this to my Client's at CakeTinIce